Sunday, September 30, 2012

How To: Accessorize Using Eyewear

I've vowed to make this blog more personal, so here we go. Second and third most embarrassing photos of me ever, and the only photos I have of me wearing glasses:

Bad haircut/hairdo, gum in my mouth, horrible ill-fitting shirt, and holding scissors since I'm in the middle of cutting my friend's hair. Awesome.

Confession: I've had glasses since I was in 4th grade and contacts since I was in 8th, giving me almost 14 years experience with eyewear. And yet I've always hated wearing my glasses since I felt like it was something that separated me from the world, visually. There were my eyes, then this (thick and ugly and nerdy) piece of plastic, then everything else. But somehow it dawned on me today that eyewear can actually be an accessory to your style. (cue mind blown gif) Especially since glasses are SO in vogue right now, and add some cozy to your fall wardrobe. Here's how:

>>>Add some quirk to your look, or emphasize the quirk you already have. Those bejewelled glasses emphasize her haircut and push the outfit just over the edge of awesome. And I mean, how sassy are those kids?? I've heard from reliable sources that See is a great store for vintage and quirky rims.

>>>Use glasses to create or exaggerate the make up look you want. Emphasize your cat-eye eyeliner with half-rim glasses or even cat-eye glasses. Emphasize your smoky eye with dark full-rim glasses. The lines mirror and enhance each other, giving your look even more pop.

>>>Exaggerate a minimalist look by adding clear frames (she's not wearing eye make up, but that's immediately where your eyes are drawn to this photograph!). Clear or even rimless glasses can give you a very professional look.


>>>Exaggerate a not-so-minimalist look (i.e. go big or go home). Exaggerate red lipstick with bright red glasses and big waves! Holding a baby leopard also helps.

>>>Be a lady! Delicate glasses can totally pull together a prim and proper look, without crossing into little girl territory. (I really love the Kate Spade collection for this look)
Note the use of cat-eye eyeliner with cat-eye glasses!

>>>Be a man! Dudes in glasses and suits are hot, period. Ladies, don't be afraid to cross into the "mens" section of eyewear, break those gender norms! I was actually about two minutes away (and three hundred dollars short) of buying some "guys" glasses today. The aforementioned Warby Parker has a beautiful collection.

Myopics unite!

P.S. yes, the first most embarrassing photo of me will be up on here soon, as well as a much better photo of me in my much new and improved glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment