Friday, March 16, 2012

DIY: A Not-So-Chevron Circle Rug

I've been seeing chevron everywhere recently.

Yes, I'm including the recent tribal craze in this category - there are chevrons in there!

So when my good friend and beautiful co-worker Kate showed me this chevron braided rug DIY, I instantly ran to the fabric store. I mean, who needs three rugs in your room when you can have four??

This is what I was aiming for:

And this is what I ended up with:

A braided circle rug with a distinct lack of chevrons. I tried three different ways to get the chevron rug to work, but alas, it was not meant to be. Mostly because I didn't buy enough fabric. Boo. But a circle braided rug is nice too, I suppose. So here's a tutorial!


What you need:
Strips of cotton or whatever fabric scraps you have lying around
Needle
Thread
Scissors

What you do:
1) Braid strips of cotton.


2) Sew them in a spiral pattern. (Since I very loosely braided all of my strips, I had to handsew them all together, which took me waaaaaay longer than I'd care to admit. I'd recommend you braid the strips pretty tightly so you can machine sew them together with a zig-zag stitch)


3) Step on it!

1 comment: