Wednesday, February 1, 2012

DIY: Fishtail Skirt

I saw this skirt at Goodwill last semester and immediately thought Anthropologie or Urban Outfitters, and knew I had to get it. It was a super awkward length so I hemmed it, and although I liked the outcome, it just wasn't all that great.

So I did what anyone else would do: make it into a fishtail skirt a la Geneva (see also this and this - not really a fishtail skirt, but a gorgeous maxi skirt nonetheless). Et voila! I'm in love.

Just have to point out these shoes. They're Ralph Lauren (made in Spain?), found for 5 bucks at Goodwill. SCORE.

What you need:
A skirt
Thread/needle (or fraycheck, or fabric glue)

What you do:
1) Put the skirt on.

The before. See what I mean about it just looking weird?

2) Mark in chalk where you want the skirt to hit at its shortest in the front, and at its longest in the back (I wasn't going to shorten the back of mine so I skipped this half).


3) Lay the skirt out on its side and connect those two points with chalk in a smooth line, remembering to leave a small hem allowance (you may have to curve the line more if the length difference is more extreme than mine is), and cut.

Note: that button on the waistband is on the side of the skirt - make sure you lay the skirt like this, on its side! Also, since I wasn't shortening the back of mine, I only cut about 3/4 of the way around the skirt.

4) Try on the skirt to make sure the length/shape is what you want (not pointy in the front, even slope all around, etc). Alter as needed.
5) If you're lazy like me, use fabric glue and Fraycheck to hem the skirt (it's made of non-machine washable fabric anyways). Otherwise, sew.


6) Wear it like you own the place. Admire how the skirt floats behind you when you walk. Because everyone else will be.



It's moments like this when I really really wish I had a leather jacket...

No comments:

Post a Comment